Thursday, August 12, 2010

Chatty Wrappers

March 3, 2010 at 3:54 am (Copywriting, Funny)
Over the past few years, you may have noticed your fast food wrappers talking to you. Well, not in the “I’m hearing strange voices” sense, but catchy little one-liners showing up on the items that hold our delicious (?) morsels of yummy-goodness.

This straw wrapper from Arby’s informs me that it is “the only thing standing between you and Jamocha bliss” … well, that might have been true if I were drinking a Jamocha shake. But I had a Pepsi. I’m a simple girl who enjoys simple beverages. No Jamocha for me, please.

Burger King and it’s “frypods” have also started speaking up, but my all-time favorite has to be the sauce packets you get from Taco Bell. They always throw like 30 in a bag for one taco supreme, so you can always count on a nice variety of witty sarcastic words of wisdom. And I admit, I have laughed out loud more than once over what advice they had for me.

But here’s my quandary: why spend so much time and money on this marketing device, when you KNOW it’s going to end up in the trash?

I don’t keep my frypod after the fries have vanished. The wrapper in the photo above was balled up and tossed 30 seconds after it’s picture was snapped. And while I am guilty of tacking a Taco Bell packet up on my cork board at work, it doesn’t make me want a taco every time I look at it.

So what exactly is the point of it all? Comments?

No comments:

Post a Comment