Saturday, December 4, 2010

A Bad Economy is Not A Reason to Skip Holiday Decorating

When job loss hits a family, the effects are far from just financial. The emotional toll and the stress it creates is just as problematic as not being able to pay the bills. And with the holidays quickly approaching, now is NOT the time to sink further into depression.

Holiday decorating doesn't have to be expensive. Being one of the unemployed, money is certainly tight. In order to keep things jolly, I had to get creative!

I started by going through my scrapbook papers--things I've accumulated over the years. I didn't have any "holiday" themed papers, but I went through and found some great prints and patterns in reds and greens.

I cut paper strips, about an inch to 1.5 inches in width and about 5 or 6 inches long. Lining up the ends, I stapled each one to create a loop. Using an old wreath form, I hot glued each loop onto the form, alternating between colors and patterns. I applied all the loops in the same direction, working my way around. Add a ribbon to hang it and there ya go! Out of pocket price: $0.00.

But I wasn't finished decorating...


I have been wanting to forgo the big Christmas tree and buy some of those contemporary, minimalist trees that literally look like cones. (In fact, I'm pretty sure they ARE just Styrofoam cones with glitter!) But, money is tight, and those things are pricey. What's a crafty gal to do?

Newspaper. I had lots of newspaper laying around. I took a few pieces and started forming a cone, taping and stapling as I went along. Before I knew it, I had my own tree form. Now to add paper and fabric scraps!

The two trees in the front are decorated with paper in shades of pink, light blues, and light greens and embellished with ribbon. The larger cone in the back is covered with fabric and surrounded with white lights.

I had a blast making these things, although hot glue and I are not friends. The little tree on the right is created with long strips of paper, again looped and glued together, then applied around the base of the cone, working my way up.

The small tree on the left was more time consuming. I used a circle punch to punch out hundreds of discs, then used a pencil to create a slight curve in each "leaf". I again started at the bottom and hot glued each piece in place, alternating colors.




 Add some ribbons or any other embellishments you might have on hand. The papers I used for these two trees I purchased on clearance a while ago. The colors certainly didn't scream "Christmas" or "winter", but the power of suggestion is not to be overlooked. I used the paper and it looks like a Christmas tree... and so it is. No one would come in my house and think it wasn't.

I might add some glitter later to these trees, but having two curious and mischievous cats who get into EVERYTHING, the glitter idea might be a bad one.

At any rate, happy holidays! Get to crafting and get the kids involved! And no matter what your financial, emotional, or physical state, I wish you all a very bright and cheery holiday season!

Lots of love,
Heather :)

No comments:

Post a Comment